When I found out I was pregnant I felt like I had such a great pool of girls to pull from for advice because so many of my friends already had kids. Thank you to everyone who I have polled for advice, texted at night or early morning, sent photos to and everything in between. You know who you are!
So when it came time to shop for newborn essentials I knew what I needed. The list you get from the stores are extensive and sometimes a little daunting and overwhelming. So I put together this list of newborn essentials to help you on your new journey of being parents.
- Car Seat & Stroller. We tested SO many but ended up going with The Britax travel system. It has great reviews, is one of the lighter car seats, is stroller compatible without having to buy any extra parts and is incredibly easy to install. We love this set!
- Pack & Play. With family in different parts of the city and our love for traveling, this was a must for us. We love our Eddie Bauer Pack-n-Play. And it’s incredibly easy to set up and break down. Video coming soon!
- Boppy pillow: if you intend to breastfeed (congrats, it’s such a great bonding experience!) then get a bobby pillow. Super easy to use and makes breastfeeding easy (or as easy it can be).
- This breastfeeding cover. I tried the infinity scarf, a blanket, towel and nothing worked until I found this cover. You don’t have to worry about it sliding off. It has all around coverage and its breathable for your babe.
- Swing. I love this Fisher Price swing. He has taken naps in it, will sit there for 20 mins looking at the spinning monkeys and listen to the music. It was the only way I actually got things done around the house when I was at home with him. So put this one on your registry!
- Two carriers. One that’s affordable and one to invest in. I actually liked the Moby wrap for when my son was first born. I watched this video on the easiest way to tie the Moby wrap and it was great. Another affordable option was this one. But when he hit 3/12- 4 months I knew it was time to get a carrier that was more sturdier. That’s when I went with the Tula carrier. You can buy the infant insert and use it when he’s little as well. Great thing about this one is that my husband can wear baby too. And he is a lot taller than me so finding one we both could wear was a win-win. This one also has the best reviews.
- Nose sucker & Saline drops. The nose Frieda has been incredibly helpful when my son got really congested and had a runny nose for almost a month. Since babies obviously can’t blow their nose like we can, it’s important to get rid of all that mucus up there and keep them happy. The saline drops go hand in hand.
- Noise machine. My son definitely had his days and nights confused. Which is typical with newborns. When we started to use this sound machine he started sleeping 8 plus hours. Thank god! But we definitely had those sleep-deprived nights. It’s when we started him on a routine that helped him sleep longer too. Stay tuned for how to got your baby on a routine post.
- 4moms tub. Some people will tell you that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on so-called “fancy infant tubs”. But I’m here to tell you that we did and we don’t regret it for a second. The size is just perfect enough to fit in our kitchen sink and light enough to take with you when you travel. BEST PART: it tells you the ideal temperature for your bath. Coming from someone who accidentally turned the hot water too hot when their baby was in the sink (I literally almost had a heart attack!) The temp gauge gives you a piece of mind.
- Play yard: there’s only so much you can do with a newborn, trust me I tried it all! What really saved me was this Skip Hop Activity Gym. He literally played in this every day when I was at home with him. It’s also a great place to put them when you’re getting ready for work, making dinner and practicing tummy time.
- Boom drying yard and bottle warmer: we’re obsessed with Boon products. They’re made really well plus they have a really cool design. When you have to stare at these things everyday, it’s always good to have something fun to look at. Whether you’re breastfeeding or formula, their bottle warmer is THE BEST! Super easy to use and it’s ready in less than 3 minutes.
- Video monitor: this was a debate in our household. Should we go affordable or a little on the pricer side with more bells and whistles. We choose the latter (my husband had to concede) and I’m so glad we did. This Summer monitor is awesome: it has a better range, better screen display, the camera can rotate 360 degrees and you can add an extra camera if another baby is in the future. I definitely recommend this one.
- Swaddle. Thankfully my sister gave me several different ones so I got to try a lot. We really like the HALO sleep sack swaddles. Then I found The Ollie World swaddles. You can use them from the beginning and when they start transitioning to one or both arms out. It’s awesome! Also what has worked out so well is putting a U-shaped blanket around the baby while they’re sleeping. They are extra snug in there and wont move around! I learned this tip from my sister. It’s been incredibly helpful!
Congrats on your journey of becoming new parents. It’s an incredible, albiet tiring journey. But there is no love that compares to the love you have for your child. And the moment they hold your finger with their tiny little hand or give you that open-face gummy smile for the first time, all the sleepless nights will be just be a blink on the radar.
Have you tried these before? Do you have an item you can’t live with out as a new parent? Tell me below!