A family shoot is a great way to capture family memories. Create a family wall in your home so you can see how your family grows and changes throughout the year.
My husband and I have done two family shoots already and I absolutely love them both. Here are some of my easy tips for a smooth family shoot.
- Hire someone who knows what they’re doing. Yes, it may cost $$ but it’s totally worth it. You will be looking at these pictures FOREVER. So you want to be happy with them! A good photographer is worth every penny. Laura Lopez of Lulu Lopez photography shot both of our family shoots, along with my bridals, and Declan’s newborn shoot. So I definitely recommend her!
- Location, location, location. Choose a location that resembles you and your family. If you’re outdoorsy, then go to your local park or a wooded area. If you’re more reserved, think about setting up shop in your home. The photographer will take it from there.
- Start with one person’s wardrobe and build from there. We started with my son’s wardrobe first. I knew we would be taking individual photos with him so we took that into account as well.
- Stick with one color scheme. It’s much easier if you are matching with just one color. So think reds, blues, browns. Depending on how many people you have in the photo, a few can mix in patterns to keep it fresh.
- Bring some props. You don’t have to go overboard but even one or two props can make it feel more authentic. This is a family + maternity shoot before my second son joins us, so I knew I wanted this chalkboard prop in the photo. Choose what works for your fam!
- Choose a time that your kids are in a good mood. This goes without saying. Ours was early in the morning (light is much better than!). So we woke up him at the normal time we did for school. Made sure he had breakfast and then he was in a GREAT mood!
- Sh*t happens but be happy with your photos. Sometimes things don’t go as planned, but that’s ok! Candid photos are great! Your child might get hungry, grumpy or cranky so make sure to bring some toys to keep them entertained. But if all else fails, you still have some great memories to last a lifetime!
Have you taken a family shoot recently? What helped you make it as smooth as possible? Tell me below! Shop my maternity style here.
LouisaAugust 22, 2017 at 6:27 pm
These are amazing tips! I always hire someone for professional shoots. Just because slr cameras are readily available does not make everyone a professional.
SabrinaDSkilesSeptember 14, 2017 at 11:43 am
Thanks for the comment Louisa! It’s hard sometimes thinking about how much it can be, but in the end, it’s totally worth it!