So you’re wondering how to spend 24 hours in Austin? I got you! I’ve been to Austin too many times to count so I thought it was about time to do one of these posts. It was prompted by my latest trip to Austin as I tagged along with my sister to a work conference. It was a super quick trip, I’m talking like 30 hours LOL but as moms to 5 kids under the age of 6 we used our time wisely. Today I’m sharing how to spend 24 hours in Austin.
Take A Picture at the I Love You So Much Mural
It may sound touristy, but it’s fun! And you wont have to be shy about asking people to take your picture because there is ALWAYS someone there! Plus, it’s right by Jo’s Coffee (see coffee next!) so you can grab a bite to eat, drink a latte or just grab snack and keep on walking!
Of course I included this! If you’ve never just sat down to enjoy a good cup of coffee, then I’m telling you to go do it now! There is just something about sitting there in the company of those you love and just talking. No distractions. Just good coffee + conversation.
Shop + Eat At The Domain
Yes I said it. I love shopping. Even just window shopping. But when it’s with my sister, it’s that much better because we HARDLY ever get time by ourselves to shop! So shop The Domain You can think of this as The Galleria, only outdoors. Lots of stores, all in one place! You’ve got large retailers like H&M, Nordstrom, Dillards, Macys and smaller boutiques like Evereve, Altar’d State, Francesca’s which is where we spent most of the time.
They also have some yummy places to eat like Flower Child (get their Avocado Turkey wrap!), Culinary Dropout, The Grove, Eat at The Frost Gelateria and classics like Perry’s, Cyclone Anayas and more.
Visit South Congress Street or SoCo
My sister had never been here so I knew we had to go. If you’re from Houston it’s kind of like Montrose. Eclectic, vibrant and lots of energy! It has some cute local shops and one of my favorites The Impeccable Pig. They also have some great men’s shops too like Stag (picked up a tee for the hubby and he loved it!) and Goorin Bros Hats for men and women.
Get A Tattoo (if you’re looking!)
My sister and I knew we were getting a tattoo so we did some research. She went with Atomic Tattoo and I went to Royal Tiger Tattoo. Both great places, clean spaces, professional tattoo artists who were very accommodating and had great work! More on what I got and the meaning later 🙂
Other Fun Things To Do In Austin
Below I’m including some other things I’ve done in Austin when I’ve gone in the past.
- Visit Congress Bridge Bat Congress Bridge spans Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin and is home to the largest bat colony in North America. Best time to go is sunset, so plan accordingly! Just a fun sight to see – if you’re not scared of bats!
- Austin Duck Adventures Might be a little toursit-y, but if you’ve never been to Austin, or just looking for something unique to do, then try these out. Plus, it’s on beautiful lake Austin.
- Austin Wine Tours If you have a little longer in ATX, or just a big wine-o, then plan this into your schedule. You can experience some of hte best Austin wines from local wineries.
- Lake Travis Zipline I’ve been ziplinning in Maui and it’s such a cool way to see the city! I want to do this in Austin, the next time we go back. I’ve just heard such good things about this one, so I wanted to include it for you.
- Have a drink on Rainy Street This is a much toned down version of 6th Street. Think “renovated houses turned into bungalow bars” Lots of places to sit and have a cocktail, food trucks to visit, and just good people watching. If food trucks aren’t your thing, there’s plenty of other dinning options as well!
So there you have it, how to spend 24 hours in Austin. Next time you’re planning a quick trip to Austin, and you visit one of these places, let me know! What else should be included in the list? Leave your comment below!